I created a fun little program that will go and find the musical influences of any artist. It uses the Spotify APIs and a bit of logic.
The logic works like this:
- Find the artist on Spotify
- Go and find the earliest album that artist made.
- Get the related artists and their first album date
- Pick the related artist that has the closest album to 2 years before the original artist
- Start back up with #3
- Repeat until there are no artists left. Or until the program goes way off the rails.
Note: If there are no related artists with albums older than the oldest it will go back up the chain and try and find another route.
Example #1 – Pearl Jam
This has some pretty great results. Starting with Pearl Jam’s first album Ten (1991), It goes all the way back to 1953 with decent results like Wire – Pink Flag, The Yardbirds – London 1963.
Continue reading “Find a band’s musical influences using Python – Pearl Jam and Dr. Dre”